Schedule a text? (Write now, send later)

I really appreciate everyone’s work here, but I keep running into a problem. I’ve tried all of the methods above, but they all lead me to having no value for the phone number in data jar. Or I get a message in shortcuts after Push Cut has done its thing that says “Send Message failed because Shortcuts couldn’t convert from Text to Contact, Phone number, or Email address”. I know I must have something set up wrong, but I can’t figure it out. Any help is appreciated.

Any chance you can share exactly what you have set up so that others can try it out and analyse it? Otherwise it’s like being a CSI trying to process a room from outside, with the door closed.

I’ve just tried running my Scheduled Messages Shortcut (re-downloaded from above to make sure it was the same one) and it is no longer working… One of the iOS updates seems to have broken something. I will try to have a look at it when I get home.

My apologies. I am not sure of the best way to share the shortcut I have been trying. Here is a screenshot of 72 steps.

Here is a screenshot of the resulting entry in Data Jar.

I have confirmed that the intended recipient does have a phone number and have tried it on multiple recipients.

I believe this was Tony’s shortcut. Giving credit, not blame.

And to be clear, I am getting the same problem with each of the solutions I have found. I suspect it is a fault in an update.

Thank you all for any advice you can offer

Unfortunately, a screenshot isn’t something that can be debugged when magic variables can reference different actions of the same name, etc.

If you use the share menu for the shortcut, you’ll see an option to share an iCloud link to your Shortcut - this is the standard way to share shortcuts. Just be sure to duplicate and remove any personally identifiable information before any sharing a link.

Here (try again) is an updated version of the Shortcut. There are a couple of minor issues that I have come across over a couple of iOS updates:

1. Get Details from Contact seems to get changed to look for Groups instead of the Phone Numbers that it should be using – reset to look up the phone nuber.

2. At times, using Shortcut Input during the Shourtcut fails to have the correct value (any value?) – Shortcut Input assigned to a variable at the very start of the Shortcut and the variable used further down the Shortcut to mitigate.

Ensure that the latest versions of the Shortcuts are imported into Pushcut. There is also an issue with Shortcuts on iOS 15.2 that are in folders; All Shortcuts only lists Shortcuts that are not in another folder, causing only a limited set of Shortcuts to be impoted into Pushcut. As a workaround, move the Shortcut to the All Shortcuts folder before running the Pushcut import.

The Shortcut is now working for me; hopefully this will iron out your issues as well.

Hope this helps.

I think that link’s a bit broken…

Just noticed that as it posted… it seems to work atill, but I will try to get it to format better…

Updated the link – initially created the link on macOS and it didn’t seem to like it!

Thank you for your help on this. I thing it gets me to where I need to be.

I’m sorry if this has been mentioned before but I’m getting this error message when using the shortcut

I have sent multiple messages using the Shortcut and have just successfully sent one now to test. I haven’t seen anyone else note this as an issue.

A few questions to see if we can narrow down what is going on…

Are you running the latest versions of iOS, Pushcut and Data Jar? Both on your main device and your Pushcut server.

What time are you selecting the message to be sent at? (Is it multiple minutes into the future? It has to be far enough ahead that it is still in the future when you have finished typing the message and the Pushcut event has been created.

Are you selecting the local time that you want the message to be sent? ie if you want the message to arrive at 10:00hrs recipient time and the time zone is 2 hours behind, still enter 10:00hrs and the time zone offset will be added during the Shortcut.

Has the data been written to Data Jar (an entry for the message and one in the time zone section)?

In the Time Differences entry in Data Jar for your recipient, is the number correctly logged (positive number if their time zone is ahead of you, negative if they are behind your zone and zero if they are in the same time zone)?

Are you getting the same issue every time you run the Shortcut?

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for doing this for me. :slight_smile: I will check each one out.

1 Like

I wrote some shortcuts to schedule and send delayed texts like I want, using Data Jar.

This sets up texts to be sent by iMessage or Google Voice. It’s usually to my spouse that I want to send a delayed text (so I don’t risk waking her or so the message gets to her at a time when it’s most relevant), and I send her only iMessages. That’s why it is the way it is. This could be modified to put in other favorite recipients. The advantage of this is that the entire shortcut can be run by voice only, if to a favorite contact like a spouse. I was trying to make it possible to select any contact using voice only, but I’ve gotten stuck. I’d appreciate some advice on using voice input only to select a contact in a shortcut.

Create and Schedule: Shortcuts

Example Send Message shortcut, for iMessage. I have a similar one for Google Voice messages and emails, and all are run from a shortcut that runs all three, which runs on personal automations scheduled several times per day:
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/08632bd2248a4b3daa7ed852f1d44e13

I seem to be having an issue with #2 above. On my puschcut server I am getting an error that says there is no value. When I run the manage messages script it seems to be there.

I moved the shortcut back to all shortcuts from a folder and redownloaded on the puschcut server but still seem to be having the issue with the text not sending

@pbassi1 Can you upload your copy of the Shortcut here I can have a look through it just to see if anything has changed.

Unfortunately, my spare i*OS device came to the end of its working life and I don’t currently have a spare device so am not subscribed to or running Pushcut Server. This means that my ability to test is currently limited.

I have not previously shared a shortcut link but I think this is it

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/8aa9775fd86f49a7bbbeb1a58fe121a7

Are you scheduling shortcuts in another way?

I tend not to need to be able to schedule Shortcuts for lots of different times any more, so using cron or Keyboard Maestro on the Mac and fixed time automations on the iPhone and iPad generally cover what I want. I still use Pushcut’s schedule a notification if the exact time is not important and the Shortcut can wait until I tap the notification to run.

If there are certain times that you want a message to be delivered, for example first thing in the morning (whatever time that may be classed as), that could be achieved by setting up a timed automation in Shortcuts that runs at the correct time and checks to see if there are any messaages to send. If you need multiple options for the times of day to run the Shortcut, create a series of timed automations in Shortcuts and then add an extra field in Data Jar with the message to say at what time the message should be sent. When the automation runs, loop through any entries in Data Jar, checking the time that the message should be sent to see if it matches the current time (rather than matches exactly, check that the time for the message in Data Jar has passed).

I’ll have a glance at the Shortcut and see if there is anything that I can help with.

Hope this helps.

I’ve had a glance at the Shortcut and all seems to be in order there.

Some things to check/try:

1. Do you have Data Jar installed on your Pushcut Server device?

2. Is the entry for your message syncing across to the Data Jar instance on your Server device? (Manually looking in the Data Jar store to see if the entry exists and the data is as expected – compare the data to that on the device where you submit the messages from).

3. Have you run the Shortcut on your Pushcut Server device and looked at the Manage Messages option from there – does it still show the message correctly?

4. Are you running the same (latest) version of iOS, Pushcut and Data Jar on both your devices (submitting device and Server).

5. Try re-importing the Shortcuts into your Pushcut instances – perhaps the Server instance is running an older version of the Shortcut.

6. Exit Pushcut server, exit/close Pusshcut and reboot your phonserver.

Hope one of these helps.