Is it conceivable to create a MS Word like highlighter with an AppleScript and a trackpad?

Hello,

With keyboard maestro, it is easy to highlight text using the “apply style to clipboard” action to create a yellow background.

What I would like is a MS Word like “universal” RTF text highlighter which means that
1- I turn the highlighter on (for example a keyboard shortcut via keyboard maestro)
2- I can select text → highlight as often as I want (as I am reading through the text)
3- I turn off the highlighter (again perhaps a keyboard shortcut via keyboard maestro)

After a lengthy discussion on the keyboard maestro forum, it does not appear simple to create a MS Word like highlighter using a trackpad (a mouse, no problem).

I was wondering if the select text → highlight as often as I want could be done with an AppleScript

thanks in advance for your time and help

I’m curious why it can be done with a mouse but not a trackpad.

1 Like

because the keyboard maestro action below works with a mouse, not a trackpad

I can’t imagine it isn’t adaptable to trackpads, assuming it doesn’t work out of the box. Apple has always been pretty good about treating trackpads as the equivalent of mice.

1 Like

Hi, I am very sorry for the delay. I have been working on the problem as you suggested and forgot to thank you.

1 Like