iOS 14.5 Shortcuts Wallpaper Bug

I noticed a new but annoying bug in iOS 14.5 for those of us who set the wallpaper using a Shortcut or Automation.

In 14.4, when you had an image the same proportion of the display, and you used the Wallpaper action with perspective zoom off, it would perfectly fit the display.

For some reason, in 14.5 the wallpaper is zoomed in quite a bit. I think most people wouldn’t notice, but if like me you’re someone who sets a wallpaper which is perfectly proportioned to your Homescreen so it aligns with the icon grid / dock / notch, this can really be a point of frustration. People using the Club MacStories wallpapers will know what I mean!

I made a shortcut to work around this issue, which you’re welcome to download here: Shortcuts

Through experimentation it seems you need to end up with an image which – with a border added – is pretty much 1.134 times the size of the original image (at least on the 12 Pro Max). You can use the “Run Shortcut” action in your own workflow, passing in your image and the result of the Shortcut will be a modified image which you can then run into the Wallpaper action and once again have a perfectly proportioned wallpaper.

I’d also be curious to know if others have been impacted by this issue as well.

Cheers,

Daniel.

Argh. I do the same thing. Not often, but … sigh

I’m so tired of Apple releasing point updates that break stuff that worked before.

Given that 14.5 was in beta for multiple months, you’d think something like this would have been reported and fixed.

Tell me about it :slight_smile: It’s doubly frustrating as Apple don’t fix bugs out of cycle, so the best which can be hoped for is a fix in 14.6.

At least in this instance a workaround is possible using Shortcuts itself.

I know this issue is a year old, but has it been solved? Seeing the idea for a set NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day wallpaper shortcut thread, I wanted to see if I could recreate it on my own. I was able to log into the APOD site with the API key and download the image, but when I set it as the wall paper it is very zoomed in, so much so that the resolution starts getting blurry.

If I download the image to photos, then set it to the wallpaper it looks perfect. Is there something I’m doing wrong?

EDIT 2: I deleted the screen shot, see the post 2 below.

EDIT: as usual, as soon as I post the question, I figure out the answer. D’oh. In case it helps anyone else, there’s a “hdurl” in the json that comes back that has the high res image.

When posting shortcuts, it is always a good idea to post a link to the shortcut to allow others to download and try it rather than the trial and error effort of try rebuilding from a screenshot. A screenshot rarely tells the whole story - especially where magic variables are used and expandable sections are not expanded.

You can substitute in dummy data for things like API keys before sharing, or ideally, use the import questions feature. As long as you appropriately sanitise your shortcut before sharing, you should be safe to do so.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I saved this as an automation (at sunrise). I’m not sure how to share that.

Also, I now realize this is a “member feature” for MacStories.net. So I’m taking my screenshot down. I don’t want to undercut their program.