iOS 13: Shortcuts won't speak

Since upgrading to iOS 13, all of my shortcuts that speak text fail to run. I get a message saying ‘Input/output error: please select a language to use when speaking’. I get the same problem for my existing shortcuts, and ones created on iOS 13.

I’ve checked my language/region settings, and Shortcuts’ own settings, and have English selected for both. I’ve tried switching to US English in case that’s better supported, but to no avail.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a way around it?

are these shortcuts coming over from iOS 12?

If so: I’ve found I had to manually do through each to fix issues, and most I just rebuilt. Seems there’s some compatibility issues with the shortcuts from iOS 12 to 13.

Op says they are converted ones, edited converted ones, and new ones in their post :man_shrugging:t2:

I don’t understand? Who is op?

“OP” is the common abbreviation for “original poster” - the individual who started the forum thread.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/op/

Thanks for the replies. I’m not sure what’s changed, but they seem to be working now.

Speaking from shortcuts has always been a bit of a struggle. I find I get different results running the shortcut via Siri vs. in the app. For example, I have a shortcut where I use two different voices: one to give me a summary of my day, and another as the ‘weather man’ to read the carrot weather report. This is great from the app, but only uses the default Siri voice when triggered via Siri.

I had a couple I set up in iOS 11 that are still working fine. Just using a speak text object.