iOS 13 Automatic running of shortcuts require clicking run still?

Well Steve Jobs used it while having an argument with a developer why he had to shave 10 secs of the original macs boot time :wink:

https://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=Saving_Lives.txt

I think you’ve missed the point of the article you posted. Steve said it was saving lives by booting ten seconds faster. You can’t argue the converse by saying if they didn’t make it faster they killed people.

If that were true we’d all be murderers because I’ll bet not one person on the planet builds the most efficient version the first time.

Nonetheless, this thread has been very entertaining to say the least.

Yeah I know and agree, did it for the drama :wink:

From a legal perspective, it is true as long as you inform the user.

Excuse me you started with the wild dreamt up scenario of someone watching you make a Shortcut, those were just examples of how it could work without that rather wild example of someone watching you create a Shortcut. In fact popping to a neighbours for a cup of tea is rather a real world example for a lot of people.

GPS accuracy isn’t good enough for the example of a lock, and it’s easily spoofed.

Your also giving lots of reasons around security about the Automations issue, and quite frankly thats only likely to be one consideration of a whole multitude of factors.

If I mention Hitler can we call the thread done?

2 Likes

No sir, you are like my wife taking things out of context for the sake of argument. I wrote that scenario to show the absurdity of it. Now the scenario can quite easily be redeemed with a notification, that does not mean to disable the automation or require user interaction rather inform the user that it has run.

But still this is not the point, the point is that it is half-baked and they should not have released it in its current state. In its current form it is not automation.

Or rather John Sculley?

Only if I get to mention Godwin. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s certainly not a cron job. :frowning:

I suppose Godwins Law doesn’t state what happens when the milestone is reached, only that its inevitable.

1 Like

Context in the comment was locks, geo fencing, and theft, that was in context. Of course its going to be absurd it you pick an absurd scenario, like saying a thief has to watch you create a Shortcut, when simply not true.
Oh a notification, that you dont look at, its almost like a confirmatory notification might be slightly improved tweak to that idea.
If you know much about Apple you should know they do small incremental improvements over time, so rather than half baked, its actually a first step. If we didnt have the first step, we wont have them at all. Its how they’ve always worked if you dont like go buy a different phone.
Guy knocking out a solution on guessed at reasons for something being a particular way, on a message board vs a huge OS development project road mapped years in advance, I know which one I’d call half baked.

This topic is going around in circles. If you are unhappy with the current status of automations in Shortcuts then I suggest you file feedback - this can be done through Feedback Assistant if you are running a beta, or through Apple’s site: https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/

7 Likes