Book-reading project template with assigned pages and deferred/due dates?

Does anyone know of a Workflow/Shortcuts replacement for Joe Buhlig’s AppleScript, ReadBookTasks?

Background: there are a lot of books I want to read, but I need some structure or else they’ll always be delayed. So, I want to turn them into projects with date deliverables.

In an ideal world, I’m seeking a project template that first asks me to name the book, the number of pages, and the date I wish to finish. Then it would create an OF project "Read: “Book Name” and a series of subtasks assigning me the calculated number of pages to read each day (number of pages divided by the number of days between start and end date) … complete with defer and due dates set to the same day so that each subtask appears on the due date but not before.

I’m comfortable with the asking-for-inputs part of Workflow, but at a complete loss on how to script the calculations and then push with defer and due dates to OF.

In the most recent Automators, David Sparks mentioned a book-reading project, but I don’t recall seeing it in the show notes.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Joe’s original script is here for anyone looking for it:

If you look in the readme he actually has a Workflow solution too! (Which I discovered ~1/2 way through creating my own version :laughing:)

@RosemaryOrchard Boy, is my face red. I swear I searched high and low. But there it is in plain sight. Thanks so much!

Btw and somewhat unrelated, your video, “using drafts to create omnifocus project templates” was incredibly helpful.

1 Like

Haha, I missed it too on my first passes! :crazy_face:

Glad you like the video!