Bike Outliner & Shortcuts

What happens when you run Find All on this “Moby Dick” outline linked at bottom of this article?:

https://www.hogbaysoftware.com/posts/moby-dick-workout/

That’s ~2700 rows and on my computer (MacBook M1 Pro) takes ~5 seconds. I’m surprised that your 2.5K row outline is never finishing and wonder if there’s some case that your test outline exposes that I’m not handling well.

I think I’m reaching limits of Shorcut’s encoding performance. I’ve just tried to remove a few more of the returned Row’s attributes, but it doesn’t seem to affect the performance much. I’ve also tried a few other app’s Find All actions and they seem to have similar performance.

If anyone knows an app that can return 1000’s of items quickly using Shortcuts please let me know. Maybe there are more tricks to try.

Good idea, assuming I don’t run out of time I’ll add this for next release.

I’m going to add an “Index” attribute that you can sort by. Then to get last row you can Sort By Index, Biggest First, Limit 1.

1 Like

The Find All was highlighted green and running inside of some shortcut I had the other day, which I’d further modified, so I created a new one, and I have had better results on the find … but not the count.

Here’s the shortcut I’ve used for this testing.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/4b75d4a1faf84bfa9675971b786798ba

If gives you two options to choose from when run. Whether to count rows or not and a choice of files - tailor it to your own test file locations. It takes the time before and after the find, and the optional count. It works out the elapsed times for each of the two actions, and it displays the results at the end.

Running for each test file with no row count, I also got 5 seconds for this shortcut - I must have had the other one doing something extra like a count, but I am positive it showed in Shortcuts as the Find action running.

Outline Name: moby_dick.bike
Find All - Elapsed Time: 5 seconds

Outline Name: local_file_listing.bike
Find All - Elapsed Time: 5 seconds

However, when I tried both of them with row counting, I let each run for four minutes before I cancelled them. This time Shortcuts shows the count action as green. For both files, my fans kicked in after about 10-20 seconds of counting, and I could see the siriactionsd process hogging the CPU.

I wonder if, the amount of data associated with each row item could be pegging the process?

Check the shortcut above through to ensure you are happy it is safe to run. Set your test file location(s). Then try running without and with the count of rows. See if you see similar behaviour or not.