Automators 55: Drafts with Agile Tortoise

I am also having trouble accessing it today (08-29-20). Sounds like it would be super useful!

Has Greg posted his shopping list creator workflow anywhere? I’ve been trying to create my own meal planning and shopping list creating regime and it would be great to see how this works.

Greg posted about how he manages groceries in Drafts, but it doesn’t cover creation of the list, more just the use of it when shopping.

If you want to create a master shopping list in Drafts and have other drafts where you can run an action to copy the check listed content to the master list, that’s probably quite straight forward to do. Sorting it into sections (e.g. aisles of a store) is possible manually using arrange mode, but you might need to think about how you might categorise items if you wanted to do it automatically.

With a bit of additional effort, you could use hashtags against each item to add them into different sections within the master shopping list draft.

e.g.

- [ ] Bread #bakery
- [ ] Milk #dairy
- [ ] Butter #dairy
- [ ] Cornflakes #cereal
1 Like

Hi Gang, some help please.
In the episode both Rosemary and David mentioned using drafts as a text repository for Shortcuts to use. I have a need for this BUT I was hoping to use the text including some Magic Variables.
My question is a) is this possible (as when I recall the text it sees the magic variable as simply more text) and b) if so what syntax do I use so that Shortcuts sees certain text as Magic Variables?
Thanks in advance people

Shortcuts can’t evaluate text on the fly to become a magic variable. When you insert variables it sets up markers much like a word processor establishing a block of text as bold.

But if you used a placeholder, you could have a series of explicit replace steps in Shortcuts that make substitutions. One step for each potential substitution.

If you held your variables and values in a dictionary, you could make it a little more flexible by iteratiing over the dictionary keys and using something based on the key name to match and replace with the value stored against it.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply - looks like I’m on a learning journey to understand the use of Dictionaries in shortcuts :blush:. But without your input I would not have a reason to learn.
Thanks again

Wow, super useful ways to do it! Thank you so much!!