Automation software causing keyboard lag?

Has anyone experienced automation software causing keyboard lag? Across multiple apps (Pages, Safari, Mail, Notes, Numbers, BBEdit) I’m experiencing keyboard lag and characters getting out of order. Its frequent and intermittent.

I’m running Fall 2021 MBP, M1 Pro, 16", 16GB
Ventura 13.0.1
Shortcuts, Hazel, Keyboard Maestro, TextExpander (all current versions)
Fantastical, GoodTask, Facebook Messenger, and Apple Messages are also running most of the time in the background.

I had a similar problem where TextExpander snippets were delayed in response and often ended up putting characters in the wrong order. I finally determined that I was using too many things that monitor keyboard input, such as clipboard history utilities, e.g. Alfred, Paste, CopyPaste, Keyboard Maestro…I disabled all but one, and the keyboard lag disappeared. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I think so! I was using Pages for something the other day (working on a text document), and my keyboard kept missing strokes or not inputting text. I haven’t noticed it in other places, but I didn’t think it could be some rogue/awry app like you mentioned.

I’m on a 2019 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 MacBok Pro, so it’s not the old crummy keyboards, but I’m going to keep an eye on it now (typing into Safari for this reply is causing zero problems) and see if those other apps might be part of the cause.